Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our Trail

And so we begin with the path.  When I first met with the teachers at Gearity Elementary School to talk about what they wanted to see happen in the garden everyone of them mentioned the woods.  That they have these woods back there, but no one uses it and wouldn't it be nice to have a path thru those woods there.
 
 
I left this initial meeting with a light heart and thousands of ideas in my head.  But first, to create a couple of quick wins for the school.  A way to jump start their interest in what is going on outside.  One of these quick wins was to create this forest path.  With that in mind, we asked the district for mulch.  I quickly tagged a path, measured it, and requested mulch.  Little did I know what was instore for us.
 
The week before our workday I learn that we have mulch coming.  Lots of mulch coming...
WOW
 
 
The weekend before the mountain of mulch arrives I bribed my then 4yr old to go with me out to the woods.  We marked a path with tape, raked that path up and lined it with downed branches. 
In the photo you can barely see the orange flagging and kinda see the raked path lined with branches but I promis you, it is there.

This is the begining of the path from the Shag Bark Hickory begining.  You can see the pile of mulch we still had off to the right of the photo.  But what a beautiful path.



 This is the view coming off the baseball field.  Although not a huge fan of the black mulch I will say that it does make a striking visual through the woods.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment